History of the Foundation
The San Antonio Medical Foundation was established in 1947 with a primary purpose of obtaining a medical school for South Texas. In 1959, the State Legislature approved a bill authorizing and directing the University of Texas Board of Regents to create a medical branch or department within the County of Bexar. The San Antonio Medical Foundation provided land for the school and held additional land for future expansion.
In 1961, the voters of Bexar County approved a $6,500,000 bond issue for the construction of a teaching hospital, an essential element for the success of a medical school. Requests for land by major healthcare facilities followed.
The San Antonio Medical Foundation Trustees evaluate all requests, research the need and land required, and arrange leases to benefit the facility and the future development of the Medical Center. Priority is given to institutions providing research, education and selected medically-related services.
The SAMF board is comprised of 50 civic, professional, business, and medical leaders who serve as volunteers and are not compensated.
Financial support of the San Antonio Medical Foundation comes from the Trustees and public and private contributions that are tax-deductible under 501(c)(3).
Jim Reed – President
Pam Leissner – Director, Board and Public Relations